Friday, November 26, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

I know it is the day after Thanksgiving but my family is all coming today.  It was the only time everybody could be here except for Robyn.  We knew she & Andrew were not going to be able to come this year.  Robyn has to work (it is Black Friday). 
I have been thinking about all I have to be thankful for.  It is easy to focus on all the things you don't have or have lost, but there is so much I have to thank God for.  I have a loving family (we don't always get along, but we always love each other), a wonderful husband who puts up with me when I tell him that he's "doing it wrong".  I have four great kids, four great "kids-in-law", and three (& 1/2) terrific grandkids.  I have a roof over my head, food on my table, a job that I love (most of the time), and a God that loves me no matter what!

Speaking of the roof over my head, our new roof is almost finished and the front porch will be finished in about two weeks.  I can't wait to hang Mama's porch swing up and sit there to drink a cup of coffee in the morning while I watch the sun come up.  I have waited for this porch for 25 years.  God does answer all prayers.  Sometimes the answer is "yes", sometimes "no", & sometimes the answer is "not yet".  Twenty-five years is a long time to wait, but I figure He was just trying to teach me patience.(not my strong suite!)

Like I said, everybody is coming to my house for Thanksgiving today.  We used to eat Sunday dinner at Mama's every Sunday, but after she died, we couldn't keep it up.  Now we get together three times a year.  Memorial Day is at Linda's house, Fourth of July at Martha's and Thanksgiving here.  If everybody comes we should have 39 people here later today!  The turkey and ham are in the oven, cheese balls are made, cornbread is made for the dressing, I'm also making mama's banana pudding.  Everybody is bringing something so we should have lots of food!

I am the only one awake right now and am enjoying the quiet, but in a few hours this house will be filled with the people I love.  We are a large and LOUD bunch but I am so thankful for them.  I can hardly wait!

Time to check the turkey!  I LOVE my life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment